Meditation is definitely a helpful practice that can keep you relaxed and comfortable as we all try to stumble through a world of chaos at this time. These 12 tips can help you start meditating and keep your practice going.
1. Go into your meditation practice without expectations. It is best to approach each time to meditate as an opportunity to get to know your own mind better.
2. Choose a time to meditate, and stick to it. A scheduled daily meditation time makes it easier to establish the practice as a habit that you’ll do every day.
3. Create a designated space to meditate. This can make it more comfortable, helping you transition into meditation. It’s like designating the office space for your time focused on work.
4. Start with a couple moments to wind down and clear your mind. This keeps the mind from wandering back to something from earlier in the day, allowing you to focus more clearly.
5. Start with a few deep breaths to calm the body. This triggers a relaxation response, helping you feel safe and at ease.
6. Try not to fidget or move too much during meditation. Even if you feel restless, or distracted by pain, try not to chain positions. There are postures other than sitting, including lying down or walking.
7. Just breathe. Keep meditation simple by bringing your awareness back to your breath, over and over again. Acknowledge thoughts as they come and then return to feel yourself breathing.
8. Be kind to yourself; some days are easier than others. Remember that it’s a practice and won’t always be perfect.
9. Slowly reintroduce movement after meditating. At the end, gently begin to move your fingers and toes, then hands and feet, and finally stretch your arms or legs. After this pause in your day give yourself time before diving into a stressful task.
10. Acknowledge your emotions. Meditating can leave you happy or even a bit down, as it helps you recognize all feelings. Take a moment to think positively of practicing meditation.
11. Repeat the next day, even if you don’t feel like it. Routine is the power of meditation. It may not feel like a vacation when repeated daily, but this provides positive effects.
12. Try guided meditation apps or take a class. This helps if it’s difficult for you to stick to a daily meditation practice on your own.
Meditation isn’t always easy or even peaceful. Just like exercising, some days will feel easier than others. This could be due to the amount of sleep you had the night before, or the amount of stress you were under that week. But, it has truly amazing benefits, and you can start today, and continue for the rest of your life.